Thursday, November 09, 2006

identity politics

I am:
-a follower of Christ

-a sister, to my six sweet siblings
-a daughter, of wonderful parents
-a girlfriend, to a loving, servant-hearted man
-a friend, to many lovely people
-a roommate, to beautiful, encouraging women
-an aunt, a niece, cousin, and a granddaughter

-from an American Indian, German background
-a small town girl

-a student, in a great program
-an officer, in a fun organization
-an intern, at an exciting small company

-a goofy, hippie dancer
-a book nerd
-a volunteer
-a lover of adventure
-a simple, easy-going person
-a compassionate-hearted believer
-a concerned (near) graduate, wondering what I should do next.
-a lover of cultures, change, and growth

I love hearing who we view ourselves to be. I wish we would have traded papers with each other. I’d even love to partner with someone in class who feels like they know us well, and see what they would list us as being. We have our perceptions of who we are, what I’d like to know is how my classmates, who get a glimpse of who I am would label me.

The question Lambiase left us with was this: How do we handle a person who feels like they have a saving truth, and are only willing to talk about that truth. She mentioned that this could apply in a religious context, and a non-religious one.

I’m going to state my thoughts in reference to a religious context. I do believe in a saving truth, a truth that has changed my life and gives me purpose. I want to talk about it, because if I believe in the truth of Christ and don’t share it, I believe I am a cruel person – hiding away an eternally freeing truth. This is a bit of a stretch, but me not talking about faith in Christ is like me not telling my friends about a dealership in Denton, giving away brand new cars, for free… except this truth is an eternal one, something much more long lasting than a car.

HOWEVER.

If all I am willing to talk about is the saving truth that I believe in, then no one will listen to me. God help me if I approach any relationship with such a self-centered attitude.

I am very interested in other beliefs that people have, as well as anything they are willing to share about who they are and how they were shaped into that. In fact, in talking to people, I try to share less and listen more. Why would anyone want to listen to me if I haven’t been an attentive listener to them? It is sad that people believe they have a saving truth, (or maybe they do have a saving truth) but are arrogant, and unwilling to hear of anything other than what they have to say, then their saving truth will remain only theirs, because who wants to listen to someone who cares nothing about anyone but themselves.

No comments: