Saturday, September 25, 2004

finally... a topic

I think I have decided on a topic, on the Saturday before it is due! Not so great, but I'll run with it anyway. I initially thought I would use the web for my first critical analysis. I really do not read any media outside of the web (I read news online, and other than that I am pretty much out of the loop). I've decided now that the web is a little broad, for a small project, magazines would be the best medium to use.

I thought I would compare ads in secular publications as opposed to Christian publications, but I quickly decided that there would be a major difference & I didn't know what parallels I would find. As far as mainstream, well-known magazines, I can't think of what I could compare. I could look at Cosmo, a sex-driven publication (in my mind), and then look into Relevent (focuses on God, You, and Progressive Culture), but these magazines have such different target markets. Sure I would find differences, but I thought this wouldn't be a very interesting study. Hmm...

I really couldn't think of what I wanted to dig deep into, something that interests me & something that goes along with one of the chapters we've read. After visiting many magazine stores & spending a couple hours in Barnes & Noble & online, I think I am going to look at women's magazines compared to the "teen" publication of the same magazine. Like: Elle, & Elle girl, Cosmo & Cosmo girl, People & Teen People, etc. I am going to look at how the women are portrayed differently in the magazines, if they are. I am going to see if there is more "sex" in the women's magazines as opposed to the teen publication. I am going to look at the advertisments & see if in women's magazines there is more sexuality. I am also hoping to find out of in women's magazines there are more suggestive ads, maybe hidden messages. I surely hope that magazines geared toward women, sexually active women, are filled with much different content then ones aimed at younger girls. Everyone seems to think that kids are growing up faster today, so I'm excited to see what advertisers are putting out there! Ok, I'm just rambling. Now I will go & find out! Off to search!

No comments: